Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to see a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do I Must Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You must remove the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will make sure that when you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal should be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to consider the grade in which your yard currently sits and also the volume of soil that you must install for the new lawn. In a few special cases when you could put in a layer of the latest soil without getting above grade, you may leave the existing lawn set up. New lawns will require a minimum depth of 3 inches of the well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed with the aid of sod cutter, utilizing a bobcat and an excavator in difficult to access yards may be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is very important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will discover much better growth over time when a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the greater expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The best lawn should be designed with a minimum of 3″ of the well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand as well as the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter needs to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also have a strong odor needs to be avoided as well. In most cases topsoil today is manufactured from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the contents of the soil and make sure the composting process is complete. A soil analysis using a neutral ph balance should be requested from the supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf is definitely the preferred method of installing a brand new lawn. Sod could be installed throughout the year and turf farms are open to supply year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to make use of depends on:
1. The usage of your lawn area. This includes the amount of traffic that your particular lawn area is put through, including pets and children.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures in your climate.
Typically turf that comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is perfect for residential usages. Sod farms will grow varieties of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn can be completed by using these basic steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams do not match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending some extra time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers all of the soil. In the event you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a complicated job should you don’t take the time to accomplish it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces in place using a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to fill in other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Do not allow the turf dry up at any point. In the event the sod is allowed to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day may need frequent watering so make sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the new lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a brand new lawn is a very rewarding task and provides instant beautification for any property.