Beginning with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w menu prices grew in to the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. Along the way it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. 100 years of history is, well, plenty of history. But here’s a good start.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, using the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it absolutely was the initial U.S. chain restaurant to grow to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is older than sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the first Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (invented by Dale Murder who became president and is now chairman of the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the Great Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California hosts probably the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of A&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds purchased in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) There are nearly one thousand A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 inside the U.S.
On June 20, A&W took over as the first American restaurant chain to change 100. The first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California in a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W features a long history of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration as well as the third year it has partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV wish to raise $200,000 for your organization, which serves more than one million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided approximately $6 million in direct good things about veterans.
“Our partnership with AAndW continues to grow each year, so we truly appreciate its support for the ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs of our own American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a century ago, so we are extremely thrilled to again be employing aAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
About A&W – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, a&w still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water as well as a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries that are served in a frosty mug together with burgers, fries, chicken tenders and other All American Food® favorites. You will find nearly 1,000 locations worldwide.